Solving Problems

Solving Problems

Faculty and staff at the University of Kansas are committed to helping you have a rewarding and enjoyable University experience.  However, in a community as large as ours, misunderstandings or disputes arise from time to time.  It’s always best if you can resolve a misunderstanding quickly, directly, and informally. 

Campus Resolution

If you would like to talk to someone informally and confidentially about the problem you are having, you may contact the Ombuds Office, (785) 864-7261, or, which can provide advice about the options available to you and also can assist in finding an informal way of resolving the problem. 

Other helpful offices include the Office of the Vice Provost for Student Affairs, (785) 864-4060, or,  which can assist with any student-related issues, and the Department of Human Resources, 785-864-4946,, which can assist if your problem is related to a KU job. 

If you find that the misunderstanding or dispute cannot be resolved informally, you may file a formal complaint (grievance) with the appropriate KU hearing body.  More detailed information about filing a formal complaint is in the University Senate Rules and Regulations (USRR)Article VI, Section 3.   Many academic departments and other units have adopted unit level grievance procedures in accordance with Article V. Section 2 of the USRR.  Generally the initial hearing of a formal complaint is held at the smallest unit that has adopted applicable procedures. 

Depending on the nature of your complaint, a specialized procedure may apply.  Article VI, Section 4, of the USRR provides detailed information about the appropriate procedures for resolving specific kinds of grievances.  If you have questions about which procedure is appropriate to your complaint, staff in these offices can advise you:  the University Ombuds Office, (785) 864-7261, or; the Office of the Vice Provost for Student Affairs, (785) 864-4060, or; and the Policy Office, 785-864-9600,  

Outside Agency Resolution

You may also file your complaint with an agency outside the University of Kansas.   The University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. 

Additionally, the Kansas Board of Regents, which is responsible for oversight of the University of Kansas, has established a complaint process that is available to students who have exhausted all available institutional grievance or complaint processes.  Detailed information about the process is available at the Kansas Board of Regents Student Complaints

Unresolved student concerns regarding online programs authorized through State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA) may be directed to the state portal agency

Finally, you may also direct complaints to the state Attorney General’s Office. Contact information for these offices is provided below:

The Higher Learning Commission

North Central Association of Colleges and Schools

230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500

Chicago, IL 60604-1411

Tel:  312.263.0456

Kansas Board of Regents

1000 SW Jackson Street, Suite 520

Topeka, KS  66612-1368

Tel:  785-296-3421

Kansas  Attorney General’s Office

Memorial Hall, 2nd Floor

120 SW 10th Street

Topeka, KS  66612

Tel:  785-296-2215


< Back to Home