Student Resources

Student Resources

Academic integrity is a central value in higher education. It rests on two principles: first, that academic work is represented truthfully as to its source and its accuracy, and second, that academic results are obtained by fair and authorized means. "Academic misconduct" occurs when these values are not respected. Academic misconduct at KU is defined in the University Senate Rules and Regulations.  A good rule of thumb is "if you have to ask if this is cheating, it probably is.

Academic integrity is based on five fundamental values: honesty, trust, fairness, respect, and responsibility.

Honesty is the foundation of teaching, learning, research, and service and is the prerequisite for trust, fairness, respect and responsibility. It is more than personally not cheating on assignments; it is not tolerating cheating from anyone.

Trust encourages the free exchange of ideas. It is promoted when faculty set clear guidelines for assignments and for evaluating student work; by students who prepare work that is honest and thoughtful; and by schools that set clear and consistent academic standards.

Fairness is everyone's responsibility and a lapse by one member of the community does not excuse misconduct by another. Fair and accurate evaluation is essential in the educational process.

Respect is paramount to learning process and respecting people involves fairness and honest treatment. Students show respect by attending class, being on time, paying attention, listening to other points of view, being prepared, meeting academic deadlines and performing to the best of their ability. Faculty show respect by taking students' ideas seriously, providing full and honest feedback of their work, valuing their aspirations and goals and recognizing them as individuals.

Responsibility is being personally accountable for your behavior. Being responsible means taking action against wrongdoing, despite peer pressure, fear, loyalty or compassion. Responsibility is part of academic civility.



The financial and non-directory information on your student account is confidential and protected by the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA). FERPA is also known as the Buckley Amendment, Statute 20 U.S.C 1232 (g), regulations 34 CFR Part 99. We cannot release certain information to another person without your written authorization.

We have now updated our processes to use Delegate Access in place of the Authorization to Release Student Information. Please visit this page for more information on granting and revoking third party access to selected portions of your student record.


Bystander Education/Empowerment programming is now offered through the Sexual Assault Prevention and Education Center (SAPEC), an office in Student Affairs. 

KU students have an important role to play in the prevention and intervention of sexual violence.

Jayhawks Give a Flock is a bystander education and training program developed for college students. Students participating in this program will gain with the knowledge and skills to take action when they see behaviors that put others at risk for sexual assault. These skills include intervening in situations where others may be at risk of harm, speaking out against rape myths and sexist language, and supporting survivors of sexual violence.

Student Affairs works collaboratively with the campus to coordinate the University’s compliance activities with the Clery Act.  KU’s Annual Security Report provides information about campus safety and security policies and procedures as well as crime information.  For more information on the Clery Act, please visit the US Department of Education Campus Security website.


The Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities outlines the rights of students and many of the standards of conduct expected within the University of Kansas community.


All university students, administration, faculty and staff.




Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities_2018.pdf


Jane Tuttle

Assistant Vice Provost for Student Affairs

133 Strong Hall





Thursday, January 1, 1970


Thursday, January 1, 1970


Biennial (Every Two Years)


Nondiscrimination, Equal Opportunity, and Affirmative Action Policies

Student Non-Academic Conduct Procedures


student code, student, rights, responsibilities, protest, university, discipline, conduct, code, Student Code of Rights/Responsibilities, Student Code of Rights and Responsibilities, Student Code of Rights & Responsibilities, Student Code of Rights / Responsibilities, Student Code of Rights abd Responsibilities, Student, Code, Right, Responsibilities, Student Code of Rights/, /Responsibilities, Rights/Responsibilities, Student Code of Rights and Responsibilities


01/10/2019: Updated Student Code. 

11/21/2018: Clarified the role of an affiliate; updated informatin regarding STudent Housing entering rooms; including information regarding religious observances; clarifying information regardin gmental health and student conduct.

10/06/2016: Technical edit.

08/12/2016: During Spring 2016, Student Senate revised the code in its entirety.  Select amendments include updated rights of students, jurisdictional language, and clarification of policies.

01/23/2015: Policy formatting cleanup (e.g., bolding, spacing).

12/02/2014: Updated keywords for better search functionality.

11/24/2014: Clarification on Title IX jurisdiction.

10/20/2014: Policy formatting cleanup (e.g., bolding, spacing).

08/05/2014: Revisions effective.

07/22/2014: Revisions approved by Chancellor.

05/07/2014: Last revised by Student Senate.

1986: Revised.

1970: The Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities was originally adopted by the Student Senate, approved by the Chancellor in 1970, and revised in 1986 and biannually thereafter for the University of Kansas, Lawrence campus. The Code, presented here in its entirety, is subject to amendment by the Student Senate with the approval of the Chancellor. Any activity, policy, rule or regulation for the implementation of this code is subject to the approval of the Chancellor and the Board of Regents as provided by law and the University Senate Code.


Student Life Categories: 

Learning about the University



Helping Keep Jayhawks on Track to Graduate

Guidence for Fall 2021 Course Adaptations

As the university course schedule returns to more in-person courses for the fall 2021 semester, the course adaptation process will change significantly from the previous academic year and phase out.

We recognize that there are students who will need online courses due to various complications related to COVID-19 and our goal is to move from a centrally coordinated process to an individual process where students can work directly with their home academic unit to identify options and solutions specific to the student’s needs and area of study. Our collective priority continues to be focused on helping students enroll in courses that keep them on track with their degree requirements.


The process for students needing online courses as we prepare for the 2021-2022 academic year is as follows:

  • Students needing online courses should discuss options with their academic advisor
  • Advisors will help students explore online course options that meet degree requirements.
  • As a reminder, students can also search specifically for online and hybrid course options.
  • If there are no viable degree-application online course options, the advising unit is asked to reach out to the student’s home department to determine if there are alternative options in the form of a course substitution.
  • Instructor and departments are not required to offer course adaptions.
  • Some courses, especially labs and field work will continue to be unavailable online.
  • If a department is unable to identify a viable option for a student, then the advising director, assistant dean, or appropriate individual is asked to work with their associate dean or dean to discuss options. The Vice Provost for Academic Success is available for consultation or support as needed.



Recognizing that there are international students who may be unable to travel to the U.S., there is a team from International Support Services (ISS) and the Undergraduate Advising Center (UAC) working together to help these students identify online course options and potential substitutions. International students with concerns or needing assistance regarding their course options or requirements for their visa are encouraged to contact ISS at or (785) 864-3617.



Students seeking a disability accommodation should reach out to the Student Access Center  to discuss their options at or (785) 864-4064.

Emergency Aid Fund, managed through Kansas University Endowment Association (KUEA), exists to provide financial assistance to students who have an immediate unexpected expense due to circumstances beyond their control.  The unexpected expense can be of an emergency or an unplanned non-discretionary expense. Funding is usually in amounts of $500 or less. We will not pay outstanding tuition balances, as it is an expected expense. 

Guidelines and Eligibility

  • Funding is for Undergraduate students.  Online only students are not eligible for assistance from this fund.  Graduate students should contact Graduate Studies.

  • Because additional financial assistance to a student may impact current or future financial aid eligible, the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will be consulted before any funds are dispersed.

  • Students should be in good standing with the University.

  • Students may receive assistance once in an academic year.  ​

  • Awards are not considered loans and do not require repayment.  Some funds may be considered income and are therefore subject to federal taxes.

  • Be aware that minimum processing time for any funds awarded is 48 hours.

Types of Expenses Covered

  • Books and school supplies (if purchased through KU Bookstore)

  • Replacement of belongings lost in a fire or natural disaster

  • Safety related needs (i.e. changing locks, short term emergency shelter)

  • Overdue rent and utilities​  


  • Student situations may be brought to the attention of the Vice Provost for Student Affairs and/or a student may complete an online application for emergency assistance.   Applications will be submitted to the Vice Provost or designee for approval.

Helpful Resources

Food for Jayhawks is a Student Affairs committee of staff, faculty, students and community members committed to ending food insecurity and hunger on the University of Kansas campus. Our mission is empowering students by access to healthy food and resources through collaboration among KU departments and community agencies, exemplifying the Jayhawk Values of Unity, Inclusion, Innovation, and Engagement. 


Visit Food for Jayhawks

Freedom of expression is a right guaranteed in the U.S. Constitution, and it is a particularly significant value in higher education. The University of Kansas is committed to freedom of speech and expression as part of our goal to encourage the robust exchange of ideas and perspectives by students, employees and guests across our campuses.

The University of Kansas has formally adopted the Kansas Board of Regents Statement on Free Expression. We encourage all members of the KU community to familiarize themselves with the principles and concepts articulated in this statement.

For additional information on policies and procedures related to freedom of expression, visit the KU Policy Library.

The community at the University of Kansas, rooted in integrity, is a body of scholars, educators, and engaged minds devoted to learning, scholarship, and creative endeavor. As Jayhawks, we are committed to a set of core values.

As a Jayhawk…

We will actively foster unity. A community based in tradition and continually growing through healthy relationships and effective communication.

We will strive for innovation, using our education to find new and creative solutions to the problems facing our campus, our community, and the world.

We will advocate for inclusion, respecting all Jayhawks are unique and have their own personal stories while cultivating a safe community rooted in equity and justice.

We will value engagement, taking responsibility inside and outside of the classroom to be active members of the global community.


Most KU students choose an appartment at some point in their college years. For some of you, this will be your first experience with landlords, utilities, and being on your own. Living off campus is different than living on campus because students no longer have the on-site contact and support provided in university-owned housing (residence halls, scholarship halls, and the three apartment complexes: Stouffer Place, Jayhawker Towers and McCarthy). It’s very different than living with parents. It’s very similar to living in your parents' neighborhood.

The Good Neighbor Program is designed to help you understand the responsibilities of living in neighborhoods and how to be a good neighbor and community member. The program is also intended to help you understand your rights as a Lawrence resident and access resources to help you live safely and comfortably.

More Information

Have questions or need more information on specific interactions between KU and the surrounding community? KU students should contact the Office of the Vice Provost for Student Affairs at 785-864-4060 or All other Lawrence residents should contact the Office of Public Affairs at 785-864-7100 or

Solving Problems

Faculty and staff at the University of Kansas are committed to helping you have a rewarding and enjoyable University experience.  However, in a community as large as ours, misunderstandings or disputes arise from time to time.  It’s always best if you can resolve a misunderstanding quickly, directly, and informally. 

Campus Resolution

If you would like to talk to someone informally and confidentially about the problem you are having, you may contact the Ombuds Office, (785) 864-7261, or, which can provide advice about the options available to you and also can assist in finding an informal way of resolving the problem. 

Other helpful offices include the Office of the Vice Provost for Student Affairs, (785) 864-4060, or,  which can assist with any student-related issues, and the Department of Human Resources, 785-864-4946,, which can assist if your problem is related to a KU job. 

If you find that the misunderstanding or dispute cannot be resolved informally, you may file a formal complaint (grievance) with the appropriate KU hearing body.  More detailed information about filing a formal complaint is in the University Senate Rules and Regulations (USRR)Article VI, Section 3.   Many academic departments and other units have adopted unit level grievance procedures in accordance with Article V. Section 2 of the USRR.  Generally the initial hearing of a formal complaint is held at the smallest unit that has adopted applicable procedures. 

Depending on the nature of your complaint, a specialized procedure may apply.  Article VI, Section 4, of the USRR provides detailed information about the appropriate procedures for resolving specific kinds of grievances.  If you have questions about which procedure is appropriate to your complaint, staff in these offices can advise you:  the University Ombuds Office, (785) 864-7261, or; the Office of the Vice Provost for Student Affairs, (785) 864-4060, or; and the Policy Office, 785-864-9600,  

Outside Agency Resolution

You may also file your complaint with an agency outside the University of Kansas.   The University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. 

Additionally, the Kansas Board of Regents, which is responsible for oversight of the University of Kansas, has established a complaint process that is available to students who have exhausted all available institutional grievance or complaint processes.  Detailed information about the process is available at the Kansas Board of Regents Student Complaints

Unresolved student concerns regarding online programs authorized through State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA) may be directed to the state portal agency

Finally, you may also direct complaints to the state Attorney General’s Office. Contact information for these offices is provided below:

The Higher Learning Commission

North Central Association of Colleges and Schools

230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500

Chicago, IL 60604-1411

Tel:  312.263.0456

Kansas Board of Regents

1000 SW Jackson Street, Suite 520

Topeka, KS  66612-1368

Tel:  785-296-3421

Kansas  Attorney General’s Office

Memorial Hall, 2nd Floor

120 SW 10th Street

Topeka, KS  66612

Tel:  785-296-2215

< Back to Home