Anyone can submit a care referral to Student Affairs Student Support and Case Management by completing the online Care referral form on the Student Affairs website. Members of the KU Community may log-in using their KU online ID and password; however, a log-in is not required to make a referral. Referrals are reviewed by the members of SCRT. A representative from SSCM or SCRT will reach out to the person from whom the referral came and will reach out to the student of concern as appropriate.
It is appropriate to refer a student to SCRT and SSCM when a student may be experiencing undue stress or has needs beyond what a simple referral to another campus office can address. Some warning signs to consider:
- A significant change in appearance (poor hygiene, weight gain/loss) or personality
- A substantial drop in academic performance
- Distracted or preoccupied thought processes
- Withdrawal from social interactions with peers, family, and significant others
- Frequent class absences
- Expressions of loneliness or fear, such as avoidance or apprehension about being alone, and
- Occurrence of a recent loss or other crisis (e.g., relationship breakup, death of a friend or family member, academic failure, physical illness, sexual violence)
- Expressions of hopelessness (statements such as "there's no use trying" or "what's the point?")
- Indirect statements or written essays about death or suicide
- Emotions (sadness, nervousness, fearfulness, etc.) that are displayed to an extreme degree or for a prolonged period of time.
- Extreme anger or hostility
- Lengthy, ranting or threatening communication with staff, faculty, or peers