Student Affairs Professional Development
Student Affairs, Undergraduate Studies and Diversity & Equity Sponsored Professional Development Series, 2019-2020
The Diversity & Equity, Student Affairs, and Undergraduate Studies Professional Development Committee invites you to participate in the following series of programs this academic year. Please hold these dates and times in your calendar. Closer to the date, an invitation will be sent through email that provides more information on presenters and format for the session. Each session will provide an opportunity for one of our offices to share quick highlights and updates through a brief presentation.
Please reserve time in your calendars to attend the sessions planned for the 2019-20 academic year. All sessions take place from 10:30 – 11:45 a.m. Specific presenter information and location will be shared closer to the date of each session.
- September 10 Crisis Communication and De-escalation: Techniques for Working Through High Emotion and Elevated Situation. Big XII Room, Kansas Union.
- October 8 Meeting the Needs of Diverse Students: Learn more about the Divine 9 and the Multicultural Greek Council. Big XII, Kansas Union.
- November 12 Managing Stress and Anxiety: Tips and Techniques. Kansas Room, Kansas Union.
- February 6 Digital Privacy: Who Sees You. Big XII Room, Kansas Union.
- March 18 Are Your Marketing and Educational Materials Accessible to All? Big XII Room, Kansas Union.
- April 7 Your Culture in Interactions with Students. Big XII Room, Kansas Union.
If you require an accommodation to participate in one of these events, contact Student Affairs at least two weeks prior to the date at firstname.lastname@example.org or 785-864-4060.
Marybeth Gasman, Professor in Higher Education at the University of Pennsylvania and the Summit on Access, Persistence, and Completion speaker.
- September 27, 9:00 - 10:15 a.m. | Big XII Room, Kansas Union
- October 17, 10:00 - 12:00 p.m. | Forum C, Burge Union
- Presenters: Mica Mendez, Veronica Rodriguez-Mendez
- November 13, 10:30 - 11:45 a.m. | Big XII Room, Kansas Union
- February 21, 10:30 - 11:45 a.m. | Kansas Room, Kansas Union
- Hot Topic in Higher Education
- April 17, 10:30 - 11:45 a.m. | The Jay, Kansas Union |
Campus Safety in a Concealed Carry Era
September 7, 10:30 – 11:45 a.m. | Big XII Room, Kansas Union
Speakers: Chief Chris Keary and Deputy Chief James Anguiano, University of Kansas Office of Public Safety
As of July 1, 2017, Concealed Carry is permitted on the University of Kansas campus under Kansas’ Personal and Family Protection Act. As we have prepared for this law change, many conversations have been had about the significance of this law and how it affects KU staff, faculty and students. As student affairs professionals, it is important for us to understand our roles and responsibilities under the law and university policy. This presentation will be conducted by Chief Chris Keary and Deputy Chief James Anguiano with a focus on the “what now?” Tips and strategies will be discussed regarding safety and protection for staff members as we work with and support students. Additionally, the presentation will focus on de-escalation techniques to assist when presented with an emergency situation. Please join us as we continue to educate each other on concealed carry and campus safety at the University of Kansas.
September 15 at 9:00 – 10:15 a.m. | Alderson Auditorium
October 25, 2017, 10:30 – 11:45 a.m. | Big XII Room, Kansas Union
- Mauricio Gomez Montoya, Associate Director for Academic Enrichment Programs in the Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Saida Bonifield, Director of Strategic Initiatives, Policies and Special Programs in the Office of Diversity and Equity
- Deb Meyer, Associate Director of the Academic Achievement and Access Center
January 31, 2018, 10:30 – 11:45 a.m. | Kansas Room, Kansas Union
- Dan Soulier, KU Student Housing Complex Director
- Melissa Peterson, Tutoring Coordinator with TRIO Supportive Education Services and co-adviser for First Nations Student Association
- Tina Tourtillot, Retention Technician, Haskel Indian Nations University
February 21, 2018, 10:30 – 11:45 a.m. | Big XII Room, Kansas Union
Jane Faubion, Counseling & Psychological Services
Meeting the Needs of Diverse Students - Veterans, Non-Traditional Students and International Undergraduates
September 15, 2016 | 10:30-11:45AM | Big XII Room, Kansas Union
- April Blackmon Strange, Director Student Veteran Center
- Charles Olcese, Director International Student Services
- Aaron Quisenberry, Senior Associate Director Student Involvement & Leadership Center
Student Activism and Campus Climate
October 12, 2016 | 10:30 - 11:45AM | Alderson Auditorium, Kansas Union
- Dr. Shawn Alexander, Associate Professor, Director of Langston Huges Center, African and African American Studies
- Dr. Tammara Durham, Vice Provost for Student Affairs
First Amendment and Speech on Campus
November 3, 2016 | 10:30 - 11:45AM | Alderson Auditorium, Kansas Union
Presenter: Dr. Lee Bird, Vice President for Student Affairs at Oklahoma State University
Assessment: Myths, Tips, & Real Life Examples
January 25, 2017 | 10:30 - 11:45AM | Alderson Auditorium, Kansas Union
- Dr. Kevin Joseph, Director Student Affairs Assessment
- Dr. Cynthia Goudeau, Director Undergraduate Studies Assessment
Assessment Showcase Panel Presenters:
- Aramis Watson, KU Student Housing
- Kelsey Fortin, Watkins Health Services
- Lance Watson, Student Conduct & Community Standards
- JJ O'Toole-Curran, KU Memorial Union
- Jen Brockman, Sexual Assault Prevention and Education Center
Student Affairs online: Are 140 characters enough?
February 22, 2017 | 10:30 - 11:45AM | The Jay, Kansas Union
Presenter: Mauricio Gomez Montoya, Associate Director for Academic Enrichment Programs in the Office of Multicultural Affairs
Civic Engagement as Student Affairs Professionals
March 30, 2017 | 10:30 - 11:45AM | Alderson Auditorium, Kansas Union
- Jennifer Alderdice, Former KU Alumni Association
- Debbi Johanning, KU Alumni Association
- Derek Kwan, Lied Center of Kansas
- Jamie Shew, Douglas County Clerk
The Legislative Process and KU's Role
April 20, 2017 | 10:30 - 11:45AM | Alderson Auditorium, Kansas Union
- Kelly Reynolds, Director of State Relations - Office of Public Affair